Write on one of the following questions:
1. Do you agree or disagree, that Frederick William I contributed more to the development of Prussia than Frederick the Great? To what extent was Frederick II indebted to his father for his success? Compare the strengths and weaknesses of the two kings.
2. What caused the industrial revolution of the 18th century? What were some of the technological innovations and why were they important? Why did Great Britain take the lead in the industrial revolution and continue to maintain its position through the mid-19th century? Give examples.
3. Discuss the political views of Montesquieu and Rousseau. Was Montesquieuâ€™s view of England accurate? Does contemporary America fit his model of separation of powers? Was Rousseau a child of the Enlightenment or its enemy? Which did he value more, the individual or society?
4. Explain the reasons for the Partitions of Poland. Why were Russia, Prussia and Austria able to remove Poland from the map of Europe at the end of the eighteenth century? In what ways did the Great Powers benefit from the partitions? What were the consequences?
5. Some have said that the greatness of Napoleon was dependent, not on his abilities, but rather on the success of his propaganda. What image did Napoleon want to project of himself, his laws and his empire? Pay special attention to the art of the period.
In addition to course materials, you should look into several additional sources of information. Your essay should be interpretive and analytical, seeking to explain the â€œwhysâ€ of your questions, and should be grounded in solid factual support and argument. You do not need to footnote your paper but should include a bibliography. Maximum words = ca. 1500