You will have an opportunity for this assignment to practice your writing skills, focusing on communicating how the literary devices of characterization are used by Zora Neale Hurston to convey truths about human nature. If you wish, you may use revised versions of this thesis and characterization paragraphs as the foundation for your final, complete paper due in workshop five.
Upon successful completion of this assignment you will be able to:
- Identify examples of characterization
- Explain how characterization is used to communicate truths about humankind in a work of fiction.
- Construct an organized, coherent, specifically supported literary analysis.
- Textbook: Pearson Custom Introduction to Literature
- File: Characterization Paragraphs: Structural Outline
- File: Characterization Paragraphs: Writing Process
- Using the steps in the Characterization Paragraphs Writing Process document and following the outline and principles in the Characterization Paragraphs Structural Outline, write two paragraphs demonstrating how the two main characters in “Sweat” can be used to prove the thesis you will develop for Hurston’s story. https://www.enotes.com/topics/sweat
Focus on Delia exclusively in one paragraph and Sykes exclusively in the other. (Think of these two paragraphs as body paragraphs which you may choose to revise and use in your final paper for Workshop Five.) The finished product should be one to one and a half pages long.
- Start this assignment with a separate sentence labeled “Thesis,” followed by your two characterization (body) paragraphs. (This assignment will not have an introductory paragraph: only a thesis; and it will not have a concluding paragraph.)
- Revision: Be sure you complete your first draft early enough in the workshop so that you can let the paper rest and then come back and use the Writing Process document to revise and proofread your assignment before you turn it in.
- When you have completed your assignment,