INTERCULTURAL COMPETENCE: COMMON SIGNATURE ASSIGNMENTS
Your Poster MUST include the following content (6 slides total):
- Project title (1 slide); Introduction/abstract of the topic, (the two specific cultures/ethnic groups being compared);
- One Slide for each cultural/ethnic group (2 slides total);
- One slide (1 slide) highlighting the similarities and differences of the cultures/ethnic groups
- Discussions (1 slide): What did you find most interesting? What characteristics were most similar to your own, which were least similar?
- A reference page in APA format (1 slide)
Baccalaureate Learning Outcomes:
6. Cultural Competence (BG 4): Students will: demonstrate an understanding of the complexity of cultures and construction of knowledge; value diversity of thought; and reflect on the process of building consensus based on shared understandings and goals.
7. Teamwork and leadership (BG 4): Students will facilitate team engagement by creating an environment conducive to team-building using effective strategies and demonstrate leadership through conflict resolution.
Research Poster – Due 3-6-19
Intercultural competence is the ability to develop targeted knowledge, skills and attitudes that lead to visible behavior and communication that are both effective and appropriate in intercultural interactions (Deardorff, 2006). Critical thinking and reflection become important tools on the journey toward achieving Intercultural knowledge.
Research poster presentations have become extremely common venues that allow people to present their ideas, information, research, products, services, etc. You will often experience a poster session at a professional conference or a public information meeting.
The goal of a research poster is to share information and to add new depth and understanding to the audience’s repertoire of knowledge of cultural competence.
Students may choose to work individually or in a small group (no more than three).
- Choose a topic/issue relevant to the course theme that you would be interested in learning through the perspective of two specific cultures, different from own.
- Each student will need at least four scholarly resources. Therefore, if you work in a group of three your group will need 12 scholarly resources. Scholarly resources include books, conference publications, academic journal articles, which are periodic publications. Students are strongly encouraged to use the Wilson Library Open Search
- On your poster you will answer the following questions:
- What do you understand to be important to the two cultures/ethnic groups which can included Communication Styles, Cultural Values, Music, Government, Economy, Spirituality, Traditions, Art, Family life?
- Research and discuss cultural differences within each culture studied to provide a balanced view.
- In relation to the two cultures, you researched, articulate an understanding of cultural differences, cultural rules and biases (values, beliefs, practices, shared by that group), as well as the differences in rules, behaviors, communication and biases, based on the cultural values of one’s own culture