- Interactive Unit 3: Groups in Society
Miller, S. (2007). Social institutions. The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Retrieved from
This article provides a comprehensive introduction to the concepts and theories surrounding social institutions.
Laureate Education. (2018).
SOCI 1001S rough draft essay worksheet [Word document]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
This is the worksheet that you must download and submit in order to complete the rough draft essay assignment. The worksheet contains four separate boxes, each including a writing prompt. Respond to the writing prompt in each box by typing your work into the empty white spaces below the prompts.
Walden Writing Center. (2018). Writing a paper: Thesis statements. Retrieved from
You may wish to review the information on this website if you need help constructing and supporting a thesis statement. Keep in mind that your Final Essay for this course requires that you include and support a thesis statement—and you will begin constructing that thesis statement in the Rough Draft Essay Worksheet.
Assignment: Rough Draft Essay Worksheet
Note: You may begin this Essay Worksheet after completing Unit 3.
What roles do social institutions play in your life? In society as a whole? For this assignment, you will evaluate each of the three sociological perspectives (functionalist, conflict, and symbolic interactionism) on social institutions.
To prepare for this Rough Draft Essay Worksheet:
- Read the Interactive Unit and article(s) referenced above.
- Review Interactive Units 1 and 2.
- Review the three major theoretical perspectives: functionalist, conflict, and interactionist.
- Review social institutions and select a specific social institution to analyze.
- Reflect on your relationship to social institutions and how that might affect your perspective on them.
- Review the Final Essay requirements and rubric, as this Worksheet is designed to help you better understand the three sociological perspectives and social institutions, and to help you organize your thoughts forand writing for the Final Essay assignmentdue in Week 6.
- Download the SOCI 1001S Rough Draft Essay Worksheet document listed in the Required Media for this assignment.
- Consider the 4 prompts presented in the blue boxes of the SOCI 1001S Rough Draft Essay Worksheet document and respond to them in the white boxes immediately following each prompt. Note that you should present your responses in paragraph form as complete sentences, and each of your responses should be approximately 2 paragraphs in length.
- Keep in mind that this Worksheet will help to shape the Final Essay that you will write at the end of the course.