Assignment 2: International Marketing Management
This assignment is divided into two parts. It will be marked out of 100 (10 marks for presentation).
In this assignment, you will investigate the benefit of each of the market-entry modes available for the marketing of your product. You will also evaluate the interactions between your chosen market-entry mode and target country (i.e., host country) as well as the product or service of choice for your project. With this information you will design a product strategy to satisfy the needs of your target market. The information from this assignment forms another section of your international marketing plan, International Marketing Management.
Write a 12 page report (excludes cover page and list of references) using double-spaced, 12-point Times Roman font as per the following parameters:
Part I: Market Audit and Competitive Analysis (50 marks)
Discuss the implications of the following variables for your international marketing plan:
- Customers: Describe the target customers as best as you can. Use demographic, psychographic, behavioural, cultural, or geographic segmentation. If applicable, consider both business-to-business clients and business-to-consumer customers.
- Characteristics of the market: Use recent secondary research data to identify the size of the market potential and the demand for your product. How is the marketing level in the host country in relation to its level of economic development? Briefly discuss relevant growth factors and information technology. Does your host country show a sophisticated marketing orientation? Does your target segment include any characteristics of the bottom-of-the-pyramid markets?
- Discuss patterns of multinational cooperation and trade association relevant for you project.
Part II: Market-Entry Mode (40 marks)
- Consider the pros and cons of three possible market-entry mode strategies from the ones discussed in Chapter 12 of your textbook (e.g., exporting, contractual agreements, international alliances, foreign direct investment, or other/hybrid arrangement). Which mode of entry are you planning to apply and why? Justify your market-entry choice(s).
- Discuss briefly the organizational approach for your project: centralized, regionalized, or decentralized decision making.
Criteria for Evaluating Assignments
The following criteria will form the basis for evaluating your assignment:
Substance (90 marks)
- Content —Addresses all points of information as outlined in the criteria and requirements for the assignment.
- Knowledge —Demonstrates your knowledge, incorporates all the relevant elements and variables, and makes a compelling case for how the variables will influence the marketing of your product in that country. The report will be graded on the quality of the argument, not on the particular conclusion you reach.
- Theory & Practice —Demonstrates your ability to connect your own experiences and opinions with the course material and any outside sources.
- Critical Thinking —Demonstrates your ability to express your opinion clearly and to draw the best possible conclusions from your findings and analysis.
- Resources—Research sources are relevant, current, and credible. They are clearly documented.
Presentation (10 marks)
Remember that you will be judged by the quality of your work, which in this case will be your report. The writing guidelines below will assist you with the quality of your written work, including writing style, referencing expectations, and format. These writing guidelines are to be applied to all assignments for this course.