Terrorism must be dealt with as a military threat to American security, not as a simple law
enforcement issue. Terrorists are hardened individuals who cannot be reasoned with or
rehabilitated. It is the single greatest threat to the lives of Americans. Disagree or agree.
Papers should be about 5 double spaced pages, not including citations. You will be graded on the following aspects of your paper:
1) Presenting your case persuasively through reference to the academic scholarship you have
reviewed. The items on your annotated bibliography will not necessarily be enough. These
should be based as much as possible on facts rather than mere opinion. For instance it is not
enough to just assert that free trade is bad for American workers or that Kim Jong-Un is crazy
and cannot be trusted. We need some citations to back that up and those citations must be
academic in nature, not themselves just unsubstantiated assertions.
2) Consideration of alternative viewpoints and explanation of why you feel them lacking. These can
be alternative points of view that you have read or those you might logically imagine given the
pieces you have read or your own brainstorming.
3) Organization and grammatical writing.
4) Depth of research and proper citation, using MLA style. Minimum of 15 references.
-15 academic sources
STAY AWAY FROM THESE JOURNALS
- Medicine Conflict Survival
- Tourism Management
- Journal of Tourism and Tourism Marketing
- All Azimuth
- Professional Safety
- Public Choice
- Police Practice and Research
- Journal of Travel Research
- International Negotiation
- METU Studies in Development
- Pakistan Horizon
- Foreign Policy
- Foreign Affairs
- Law Journals
- Working papers
USE THESE JOURNALS
- International Organization
- International Security
- International Studies Quarterly
- The Journal of Conflict Resolution
- The American Political Science Review
doubled spaced, 12 point font, times new roman, use in text citations, MLA, bibliography at end
WHAT YOU SHOULD NOT DO
- Don’t make claims without evidence. If you terrorism is not a big issue, use scholarly work to support your argument.
- An essay full of opinion without any supporting data is not a good essay.
- Avoid attacks to the person by finding holes in their logic or showing that empirical evidence does not support their position
- Do not build strawman arguments: a strawman argument is an exaggeration or misrepresentation of an opposing view.
- Dont turn in essay full of grammatical errors
- Dont write an incoherent paper. MAKE IT CLEAR. Make it logical and in order
- You have to make it make sense
- Don’t rely on just economic journals. 2-3 are okay but you should use mostly political science literature