Assignment title: President Abraham Lincoln’s Second Inaugural Address.
The context is the Civil war. This Address was delivered in the wake of Lincoln’s election to a second term, on March 4, 1865. The Civil War was not over yet. Lee would surrender to Grant the following month, on April 9, at Appomattox Court House, Virginia. President Lincoln was assassinated on April 14 at Ford’s Theatre in Washington, D.C.
His Inaugural Address is found here: https://www.battlefields.org/sites/default/files/atoms/files/Lincoln%20Second%20Inagural%20Address.pdf (Links to an external site.)
Other sites related to the address include:
https://www.loc.gov/resource/lprbscsm.scsm0283/?st=text (Links to an external site.) (includes photos of historic documents)
Respond to these questions:
- Identify and define two specific ideas in your readings to date(such as Democracy in America, The Healing of America, The works of Max Weber, or Luther Gulick from textbook Mastering Public Administration by Brian R. Fry; Jos C. N. Raadschelders) that relate to President Lincoln’s Second Inaugural Address.
- Describe how each idea is related to the Second Inaugural Address.
- Select the one specific idea that you deem most significant for our times. Discuss its relevance to our nation today.
- Describe why this specific idea is important to you.
Please follow these instructions:
- No more than two typewritten pages, single spaced, no title page required .
- Organize the paper according to the outline of the assignment above, answer 1-4 in order.
- Use correct writing, grammar, spelling, and citations.
- Cite the relevant parts of the readings and any outside sources used.
- Provide a list of references at the end of the paper.
- Original work only, please follow instructions