Discussion 4.1: Creating the Components of an Outline
Step 1 Post a response to the discussion board.
Respond to the following questions, and if it’s relevant, include your own personal experience:
- You are planning to deliver a speech to a group of college freshmen on the topic of how to stick to a budget.
- Identify the type of introductory and concluding techniques that would be the most effective for this speech, and explain your reasoning.
Read and respond to other students’ posts.
Read other students’ posts and respond to at least two of them. In addition to other comments you may have, address the following in your response posts:
- How would the elements of your fellow classmate’s speech change if the audience were college seniors?
- Is this topic overdone? For example, college students hear a lot of speeches geared toward them about finances. How could you either present new information or present it in a way that would hold their interest?
- What techniques was your fellow classmate able to employ in his or her outline that seems engaging and effective?
Use your personal experience, if it’s relevant, to support or debate at least two other students’ posts. If differences of opinion occur, debate the issues professionally and provide examples to support opinions.