A social studies lesson being taught in a 4th grade setting. In observing the lesson, focus on where technology was used or where in the lesson there was an opportunity for technology to be used.
Write a 250 word reflection addressing the following:
- At what level of thinking (Bloom’s or DOK) was the technology used or could have been used?
- Was the technology resource effective? Did the technology resource contribute to skilled or engaged learning? Why or why not?
- Summarize and reflect upon your observations. Explain how you will use your findings in your future professional practice.
Teachers must be able to help students make meaningful connections to social studies content. Using resources such as media and technology benefits students by engaging them in making those connections. The purpose of this assignment is to analyze potential engaging technology resources that integrate real-life application in the social studies classroom.
Create a 10-12 slide digital presentation for your social studies colleagues that promotes different technologies to be used in the classroom. For your presentation select an elementary grade level and geography standard of your choice. Then locate three different technology resources that could be used to teach your selected standard.
Your presentation should explain:
- How the technology resource works.
- Whether students work individually or collaboratively.
- How the technology resource could be used to support scaffolding of the geography standard you chose. Provide specific examples.
- Why the resource is helpful and engages students.
- How the resource promotes real-world application.
Be sure to include a title slide, reference slide, and presenter’s notes.