Daniel Goleman, a psychologist, was the first to popularize the trait Emotional Intelligence, sometimes referred to as EI. Emotional Intelligence is a person’s capacity to be aware of her or his emotions and feelings towards others to influence their thinking and actions. The four components of EI are:
- Self-awareness – This is your ability to read your own emotions accurately to know how your actions or lack thereof affect others.
- Self-management – This is your ability to control or regulate your emotions and act with integrity.
- Social-awareness – Gives you the ability to understand the needs of others and show empathy towards them.
- Relationship management – this is your ability to communicate clearly and convincingly, reduce conflict and build strong bonds.
- How has your emotional intelligence, or lack of emotional intelligence, positively or negatively impacted your professional or personal relationships?
- Choose ONE of the components of EI and explain how it contributes to job satisfaction.