- Evaluate the current state of the health care system in the city you selected. Read local newspaper articles, watch videos, and explore government and health care sites for information about challenges to the city’s health care needs (shortages, financial difficulties, privacy issues, etc.).
Propose a new or improved health care service that you would introduce into the community. Explain why the service is needed and how it would improve the community.
Design a new health care facility that would offer a new or an improved service to the community. Present a floor plan of the facility that includes the surface area, purpose for, and description of each space.
Write a 700 – to 1,050–word report about the state of health care in your selected city, your proposal for a new or improved service, and the floor plan of a facility to implement that service.
Cite three reputable references to support your assignment (e.g., trade or industry publications, government or agency websites, scholarly works, or other sources of similar quality).
Format your assignment according to APA guidelines.
Submit your assignment. For additional help, check out the ULTRA: Access your assignments page.
Copyright 2018 by University of Phoenix. All rights reserved.
Hello I need this to be completed off of the assignment that I attached to this assignment. Thank You.
U.S. Health Care Systems for Small Populations, Part 1 (Alabama, Selma)
University of Phoenix
Mr. Adams -Ghee
Introduction and rationale for selecting the city
In my selection of a City to use in writing this assignment, I zeroed down to Selma city which is in Alabama State. The city is my hometown. I have an interest in studying the health care system that’s used in my area. This is one of the reasons that informed my selection of the city. Secondly, it’s through acquiring knowledge of the relevant healthcare system that one can identify the weaknesses in the system and be able to develop policies or recommendation necessary for improvement. Bringing change in my community is one of my aspiration in my career. Given that this aspiration can only be released through adequate knowledge of the local health system I decided to choose Selma as my city. Lastly, the town fits the assignment criteria that is in terms of the population.
Map of the city
Types and locations of medical services
There are various types of medical services offered in Selma city. They include but not limited to:
· Doctor care
· Nursing care
· Medical social services
· Nutritional support
· Laboratory and X-ray
· Dental care
· Prenatal care
· Substance abuse treatment
· Pharmaceutical services
· Valley family center – Rose Ave
· Dr. Aimee L Simbre- Highland Ave
· Selma Rural Health clinic- High St
· Sultan, Intisab – Rose Ave
· Adventist Health medical office – High St Ste
· Adventist Health community care – Rose Ave
· Eye-Q vision – Cinema way
· Industrial health care – Whitson St
· Logan street Medical Group- Logan st
Demographics (population, age, gender, etc.)
Statistics from the 2010 census indicate that Selma has a population of 20,756 (Selleck et al. 2018). The population grows at a very slow rate bearing the fact that in the 2000 census the population stood at 20,512 (Selleck et al. 2018). Majority of the people who live the city are persons of African American descent. The 2010 population census shows that 80.3% of the total population is made up of Black American, 18% are white Americans, and 0.6% are Asians, while the Native Americans make up 0.2%.
The census showed that there is a total of 8196 households in Selma city and 5343 families. Additionally, the density of the population stands at 3832 Kilometers squared (Selleck et al. 2018). 30% of the households in the city were recorded to have children who lived there. Children, in this case, are persons below 18 years. 34% of the households had married couples who lived together. 27% of the households had only a female as the breadwinner with no husband present. 14.8% of the households had a senior living alone that is persons aged 65 years and above. On average the family size in Selma city is 3.1 (Selleck et al. 2018).
27% of the population are persons aged below 18 years or in other words children. Persons between the ages of 18 to 24 years make up 10% of the population (Rice, 2017). Persons aged 25-44 and 45-64 are 24% and 22% of the total population. Lastly, the seniors who are 65 years and above constitute the rest 16%. The females make up 55.1% of the total population while the males make up the rest 44.9%. The median age of the city is 35 years (Rice, 2017).
Income and employment
During the 2010 census, the median income per household in the city stood at $25,261. In terms of the family, the figure was $32,345. The males had a higher median income in comparison with females whereby the figures were $ 33,779 and $22, 129. Selma had a general per capita income as $14,369. 31.8% of the population during that time were poor or in other words, lived below the poverty line.
The unemployment rate in the city is 8.9%. This is a high employment rate which is way above the state and national rates. The Alabama unemployment rate is 4.8% which is slightly above the national rate that stands at 4.7%. This high unemployment rate can be attributed to the high poverty level in the small city.
The median home price in Selma is very low. The price is $90, 400 compared to the state’s median price that is $128,500. The median rent in the city is %552. This is a figure way below the national price which is $949. 44.3% of the houses are owned while the remaining 55.7% are rented out (Forner, 2014).
Forner, K. (2014). If Selma Were Heaven: Economic Transformation and Black Freedom Struggle in the Alabama Black Belt, 1901-2000 (Doctoral dissertation).
Rice, M. F. (2017). Black Hospitals: Institutional Impacts on Black Families. In Black Families (pp. 65-84). Routledge.
Selleck, C., Deupree, J., Hodges, A., Holland, A., Plane, L., Horton, J., & Harper, D. C. (2018). Meeting Health Care Needs in Rural Alabama: The Power of Partnerships. Journal of health care for the poor and underserved, 29(4), 1177-1187.