Note: Assessments in this course build on each other and must be completed in sequential order.
Assessment is a key to teaching and learning. In this assessment, you will select meaningful ways to assess the teaching and learning in the course you have been designing, and will tie together each of the parts of your course design.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
· Competency 1: Appraise the influence of learner’s culture, gender, and experiences on teaching and learning.
· Apply knowledge of methods of thinking, learning, and communicating to specific learning situations.
· Consider barriers to learning when designing and developing educational programs.
· Integrate cultural competence in nursing and healthcare educational offerings.
· Competency 2: Apply educational theory and evidence-based teaching practices when implementing teaching strategies.
· Apply appropriate theory to optimize the teaching experience and learner outcomes.
· Competency 3: Apply a variety of teaching strategies appropriate to diverse learner needs, content, and desired learner outcomes.
· Incorporate evidence-based best practices to enhance learner motivation in a selected learning environment and format.
· Integrate appropriate teaching strategies, techniques, and outcomes for nursing and healthcare education for use in specific situations and populations.
· Design appropriate and meaningful assessments for a course.
· Competency 4: Integrate best practices for classroom management.
· Integrate evidence-based best practices for classroom and learner management.
· Competency 5: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with the expectations of a nursing education professional.
· Develop a teaching plan for a selected topic that demonstrates flow, cohesion, and application of best practices.
· Support identified position with effective written communication using appropriate spelling, grammar, punctuation and mechanics, and APA style and formatting.
Prepare a comprehensive analysis on an adverse event or near-miss from your professional nursing experience that you or a peer experienced. Integrate research and data on the event and use as a basis to propose a Quality Improvement (QI) initiative in your current organization.
Note: Remember, you can submit all, or a portion of, your draft to Smarthinking for feedback, before you submit the final version of your analysis for this assessment. However, be mindful of the turnaround time for receiving feedback, if you plan on using this free service.
The numbered points below correspond to grading criteria in the scoring guide. The bullets below each grading criterion further delineate tasks to fulfill the assessment requirements. Be sure that your Adverse Event or Near-miss Analysis addresses all of the content below. You may also want to read the scoring guide to better understand the performance levels that relate to each grading criterion.
1. Analyze the missed steps or protocol deviations related to an adverse event or near miss.
· Describe how the event resulted from a patient’s medical management rather than from the underlying condition.
· Identify and evaluate the missed steps or protocol deviations that led to the event.
· Discuss the extent to which the incident was preventable.
· Research the impact of the same type of adverse event or near miss in other facilities.
2. Analyze the implications of the adverse event or near miss for all stakeholders.
· Evaluate both short-term and long-term effects on the stakeholders (patient, family, interprofessional team, facility, community). Analyze how it was managed and who was involved.
· Analyze the responsibilities and actions of the interprofessional team. Explain what measures should have been taken and identify the responsible parties or roles.
· Describe any change to process or protocol implemented after the incident.
3. Evaluate quality improvement technologies related to the event that are required to reduce risk and increase patient safety.
· Analyze the quality improvement technologies that were put in place to increase patient safety and prevent a repeat of similar events.
· Determine whether the technologies are being utilized appropriately.
· Explore how other institutions integrated solutions to prevent these types of events.
4. Incorporate relevant metrics of the adverse event or near miss incident to support need for improvement.
· Identify the salient data that is associated with the adverse event or near miss that is generated from the facility’s dashboard. (By dashboard, we mean the data that is generated from the information technology platform that provides integrated operational, financial, clinical, and patient safety data for health care management.)
· Analyze what the relevant metrics show.
· Explain research or data related to the adverse event or near miss that is available outside of your institution. Compare internal data to external data.
5. Outline a quality improvement initiative to prevent a future adverse event or near miss.
· Explain how the process or protocol is now managed and monitored in your facility.
· Evaluate how other institutions addressed similar incidents or events.
· Analyze QI initiatives developed to prevent similar incidents, and explain why they are successful. Provide evidence of their success.
· Propose solutions for your selected institution that can be implemented to prevent future adverse events or near-miss incidents.
6. Communicate analysis and proposed initiative in a professional and effective manner, writing content clearly and logically with correct use of grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
7. Integrate relevant sources to support arguments, correctly formatting citations and references using current APA style.
. Length of submission: A minimum of five but no more than seven double-spaced, typed pages.
. Number of references: Cite a minimum of three sources (no older than seven years, unless seminal work) of scholarly or professional evidence that support your evaluation, recommendations, and plans.
. APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to current APA style and formatting.