Assignment: In both her TED Talk and her essay “There’s More to Life Than Being Happy,” Emily Esfahini Smith argues that people should pursue a life of meaning instead of chasing individual happiness. Naomi Shihab Nye’s poem “Kindness” explores the value of loss and sorrow when it comes to kindness. Now that you have read and watched all of these pieces, imagine you have been asked to present a paper at the American Happiness Research Conference and write an essay in which you argue that people should not pursue individual happiness (In your thesis, you should give a reason for your position and/or suggest what we should be pursuing instead).
Support your position with evidence from two of the following sources:
- “There’s More to Life Than Being Happy” by Emily Esfahini Smith
- “Emily Esfahini Smith: There’s More to Life than Being Happy” (Links to an external site.) (TED Talk)
- “Kindness” by Naomi Shihab Nye
- Intro with a thesis statement, body paragraphs, and a conclusion
- Properly cited quotes from two of the sources above
- Properly formatted Works Cited page (I will format the sources for you)
- Please highlight in yellow any changes you make to your paper.
- Works Cited Smith, Emily Esfahani. â€œThereâ€™s More to Life than Being Happy.â€ Pursuing Happiness: A Bedford Spotlight Reader, edited by Matthew Parfitt and Dawn Skorczewski, 2nd ed., Bedford/St. Martinâ€™s, 2020, pp. 187-192. â€”. â€œThereâ€™s More to Life than Being Happy.â€ TED, 2017, www.ted.com/talks/emily_esfahani_smith_there_s_more_to_life_than_being_happy?lang uage=en