Discussion 12.1: Termination Videos
Partner with a classmate. From the following list, each of you should choose a scenario. Record two 5- to 10-minute videos, one with each of you role-playing the PMHNP provider and one as the patient. Attempt to come to a resolution of termination during this time; it is expected that one or both parties may not be happy at the end. (If there are an odd number of students, please form one group of three and rotate the roles.)
You should not script the interaction. The objective is to practice a difficult termination, which usually one party is not aware will be happening. You should, however, set up some details such as names, ages, diagnoses, relationship and so on to set the stage.
- Patient owes $600 and cannot pay for past or future visits. Provider must terminate.
- Provider is moving out of the area in one month. Provider must terminate.
- Patient demands to stop the psychotherapy sessions. However, patient is still using illegal drugs and has not found an effective way to use coping skills. Provider does not believe termination is in the patientâ€™s best interests.
- Patient brings in a loaded weapon and sets it on the couch during the session. In a prior session, provider had asked patient not to bring in a weapon in future sessions. Patient refused. Provider terminates.
- Despite having had eight prior sessions with provider, patient has not followed treatment plan and states they are unwilling to change. Case management is pushing provider to discharge patient from individual therapy.
Please create 2 different scripts