- Minimum of 250 words.
- If a quote is requested for support, a complete sentence quote should be provided below the answer.
- No ellipsis “…” is allowed on these assignments. Students should only use the sources provided and citations are not needed to complete the assignment.
Prompt: Connecting to the Past
In the past, my students have said to me that they often view the subject of History as “boring and useless because it just talks about dead people” and “just memorization of dates and names.” However, these aspects are on the mere surface of the discipline of History. The subject is most enjoyable when students can relate to the topic through some connection. These relatable connections create a deeper understanding of the historical topic and provide us with an understanding of the origins, challenges, triumphs, and mistakes of our personal lives, cultures, identities, social norms, political policies, economic strategies, etc. Through the various types of materials, resources, and activities, this course hopes to establish these connections between students and the topics we learn. Let’s start making those connections between the not-so-distant history, and you!
After reading the article, Connecting Past to Present: The History Major in Our Communities, compose a thoughtful post using the questions below.
- With as much detail as you can use, describe any historical event that happened during your life.
- How did you experience the historical event (through your eyes and point of view)?
- How did this event affect people around you, society, and/or community?
- What lasting impact did this historical event make on you?