Written Assignment 1
This assignment will require students to write an analytical paper utilizing critical discourse analysis, research, and incorporation of the weekly learning material. Read all learning material and watch the Black Mirror movie before completing the assignment tasks.
Critical Analysis in Film
Critical analysis is useful for analyzing the social and ideological influence of different perceptions related to practices in different parts of the world, as well as the roles and stances they assume. The overall objective of film analysis is to develop the ability to recognize and analyze the numerous facets of our lives through various lens. It also assists in the ability to apply the perspectives, concepts, and theories (when applicable) to real-life challenges and situations. The activity requires you to draw on relevant frameworks, perspectives through comparison of film.
The approach for analyzing films and/or media is known as critical discourse analysis. It is the meaning of signs/codes, which are also shaped by dialogue. It is the basic way of knowing and thinking by composing the meaning of social practices or theories in detailed contexts (Gee, 1996).
Select three of the following categories relative to personal data and conduct research using the Oâ€™Toole Libraryâ€™s online databases and locate one scholarly article for each category selected that discusses personal data use. (You will identify three articles)
Articles should focus on personal data and any three of the following:
- Music, Shows, and Movies
- Healthcare and Medical Services
- Shopping and Marketing
- Travel and Transportation
- Public Policy and Safety
- News and Information
- Education and Employment
- Artificial Intelligence
Read the articles, respond to the following assignment tasks, and incorporate material from the articles, the movie â€œBlack Mirrorâ€ season five episode titled “Rachel, Jack and Ashley, Too,” (see the Weekly Overview) lecture, and reading material in your response.
Respond to the following questions in the form of a Written Paper formatted in APA. Use the Microsoft Word 7th Edition Template attached. Assignments that do not conform to APA formatting will not be graded.
- We live in a data driven society where every aspect of our lives (personal, shopping, buying, interacting with others, jobs, education, banking, etc.) is data connected. How has data changed American society and life experiences personally, socially, and professionally?
- Identify and discuss threats to privacy if personal data is not protected.
- Do people have a right to expect protection of personal data? Explain in detail and support your position with credible sources. (Discuss the â€œRight to Privacyâ€ article)
- Discuss privacy controls and how they can ensure the protection of personal data?
- Utilizing critical discourse analysis, after watching the “Black Mirror” Season 5 episode titled “Rachel, Jack and Ashley, Too,” analyze and explain how the 3 articles you selected, the lecture and reading material and the film focus on personal data, personal data collection and use, the right to privacy, issues in society and the impact on individuals in the millennium and data privacy and protection.
Assignments will be checked for plagiarism.
Prior to submitting your assignment for review, it is recommended that you conduct a thorough review using the Microsoft Spell Check feature. Check the document for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure.
- Follow APA 7th edition Writing Guide. Submissions that are not in APA format will not be graded.
- Page length: Minimum 5 pages â€“ Maximum 8 pages (Double spaced) Excluding the cover page and reference list. Make sure that your responses substantially respond to the prompts.
- Times Roman Font 12
- Use headings (titles) for each section of your document. Do not use letters or numbers to
- identify sections of your document.
- Do not include the question in your paper. Create a heading (title) for each section of your paper.
- Include an Introduction, Conclusion and Reference list in APA 7th edition format
- Use the Microsoft Word APA 7th edition template attached.
- Do not use quoted material.
- Write in third person (do not use â€œIâ€).
- Incorporate and cite your 3 articles, lecture material, the movie, and reading material for this week in APA format.
- Before submitting your work, ensure that you have followed APA style guidelines and
- that you include references and appropriate citations. Visit the following websites for
- more information:
- APA Style (Links to an external site.)
- Demonstrate critical thinking, apply and incorporate learning concepts, theories, and terms from the learning material.