You work for an international sport consulting company. You have been assigned to present a strategic business proposal to the client about a certain scenario. You will need to deliver a business-style video presentation and written report that accurately reflects the facts, key areas, and your approach/opinion/recommendation for the client.
The Mayor of Albuquerque (New Mexico) is a huge sports fan and is considering bidding for an international sport event in order to increase the cityâ€™s international exposure and drive tourism. Based on what you learned in the course lectures, readings and any additional research, select ONE international sport event (currently existing) you think would be appropriate, and make a proposal to the Mayor’s office with your suggestion.
While you are free to organize your report in the best way possible, the assignment is to present the best case why your event should be selected to be hosted in Albuquerque. The course materials, including the textbook, should serve as a solid base of information, but you will also be expected to research further to understand how the bid process works, the wider context of the international sport world, key actors and why they are important, current trends/issues, etc.
You are required to submit your proposal in TWO parts:
- Video Presentation
- Written Report
Be sure to incorporate at least the following, delivered with a logical flow and dissemination of information:
- High-level summary of what the event is
- Your rationale in selecting this event
- How the bid process works
- Who are the key actors/stakeholders that are involved and why they are important in the process
- Any current trends/issues in the international sport industry that support your selection
- Recommendations for an initial angle and strategic approach to their bid
- Short summary/conclusion
PART A – PRESENTATION
The first part of the assignment entails giving a video presentation to your clients. You will be required to upload a presentation and record your video remarks associated with the slides. The video presentation allows you the opportunity to speak directly to your client and give energy and enthusiasm as you attempt to â€œsellâ€ your proposal.
Parameters & Conditions:
- Maximum 15-minute presentation
- A PowerPoint (or equivalent) visual must be part of presentation
- Be sure to make your slides easy to understand and visually appealing.
- You are permitted to use ONE short edited video (e.g. a produced video that shows elements of your event) as part of the presentation. While videos may be effective, be careful as they take up valuable time.
PART B – WRITTEN REPORT
The written report supports the video presentation and allows you to give the details and facts/figures that you may not have time for in the presentation. While your presentation is meant to speak directly to the client, the written assignment is intended to be digested by the reader to access and understand the detailed information.
Parameters & Conditions:
- Limit 8 typed pages (not including cover page or references)
- Minimum word count 2000 words
- 12 pt font max
- 1.5 spaced lines including references
- MS Word preferable. PDF is also acceptable.
- This part of the assignment is due by 11:59pm MDT on 4 May.
ADDITIONAL POINTS & SUGGESTIONS:
- Treat this as a business proposal and not an academic paper.
- Be very succinct and use direct writing techniques that get your points across without superfluous wording. This could mean using short paragraphs, bullet points, tables and laid out in clearly marked sections. (Note that this assignment paper is a good example of how to present information in a concise manner that is easy for the reader).
- Your presentation and report should be highly professional, which should have an excellent presentation, logical flow to your points, and double-checked for written errors.
- Visual elements are encouraged to be used in both presentation and report.
- Remember the context. Put yourself in the place of the audience and consider what information they need to be aware of. What is the priority of info knowing the limitation on space? Be clear and to the point. Do not spend time on the less important information.
- Take the time beforehand to think about how to present the information. Re-read your report before submitting, with the perspective of the client.
- Your grade for this assignment will be determined on:
- strength and support of argument
- accurate knowledge of the subject