Five paragraph essay is a piece of writing consisting of five parts: introduction, three body paragraphs, and conclusion. The aim of writing such essays is to train students to clear, concisely, and accurately express their thoughts. This ability will be crucial in future academic activities of any kind. You won’t be able to get it through properly without knowing the fundamental principles of essay writing, and the five-paragraph essay is a very good base for training.
Let’s look at three of their main types to help you get a feeling of the 5 paragraph essay format.
- Persuasive essay. The purpose of this type of paper is to make sure your views are accepted by the public. In essence, you choose an idea and work to promote your point of view.
- Narrative essay. In most cases, narrative essays are stories that show how the beliefs or characters of some writers are shaped. You can explain for instance how the event in your past encouraged you to pursue your current field of education.
- Argumentative essay. The paper is more complex because it calls for both your own and opposing points of view to be presented. Your goal is to demonstrate that your arguments are right, but you have to deal with and counter the opposite side.
These appear to be different types of essays, but all have one major similarity: structure. They all follow the same rules of writing as representatives of the five-paragraph essay. You must learn them by heart to successfully accomplish academic work.
This essay must have five parts, which is obvious from the name. Whatever type of paper is assigned to, convincing, narrative, argumentative, or other documents, a standard five-paragraph essay template should still follow.
- Introduction and thesis. The first paragraph of every essay is the introduction. Present here your selected subject and some background. Don’t write, however! Don’t write too much! Note that there is a very limited size in five paragraphs. Your introduction should not exceed 10% of the general count of words. Finally, a central point of view, which must be shown in other paragraphs, with the thesis statement.
- Main body. As the 5 paragraph essay is being discussed, three body paragraphs ought to be there. Specify a specific point for each one. Be clear, don’t mix ideas. To make good, smooth transitions between paragraphs create appropriate opening and closing phrases. As the final sentence of the paragraph, for example, do not use direct quotes. Creating logical connections between ideas, instead.
- Conclusion. This is a latter part of a five-paragraph essay to reaffirm and strengthen your thesis. Just recycle info that was mentioned before, don’t mention any new facts.
You know all the basics of the five-paragraph essay after reading this guide. Information order is identical for each type and the content will only change accordingly. Consider customized writing services if you are stuck and need assistance. A network of experts operates Graduateassignmentshelp.com to assist in every stage of the work.