The book report can be defined as an objective summary of a book’s main ideas or arguments. This task is often assigned to primary, secondary, high school, and university students in the United States. It aims to strengthen or check their ability to synthesize and convey large written works accurately. Therefore, learning to do it correctly is important not only to evaluate higher grades but also to master these essential related skills. Some of these competencies should relate to reading and understanding the contents, drawing detailed book report outline by extracting key points, main entities, etc. Below are the elements that a book report outline should include.
What Elements Should Outline Include?
Book report outline completed for fictional works usually contain following elements:
- The introduction made up of key bibliographical information – this is helpful in identifying written work you focus on, besides providing some useful contextual information.
- Book summary or plot – this summarizes content, characters, the main event, or plot twist.
- Description of main characters & most relevant/telling story elements/plot moments associated with them.
- Overall book message & purpose as intended by the author.
- Attitude towards or interpretation of the book – this section allows expressing your state, feelings, thoughts. impressions about this work. However, that unlike in reviews, where this is the most important and bulky section, in reports, this part is rather brief. To find out more about reviews proceed to our book review services.
Steps Involved in Writing a Report
Acing this kind of assignment implies mastering all related sub-tasks, like
- Read, emphasize/make important notes. 1. To make it useful, it is important to balance the highlighting level – you should limit the figure to only the most important points and quotes. You may also want to mark quotes differently, so you can distinguish them easily from other highlighted phrases.
- To complete the report, extract key points from material highlighted, summarize the information, and reshape the paragraphs in order to ensure a smooth flow of content. This may include page numbers for later retrieval of information. This can either be done on paper or on computer devices (even mobile phones).
- Composing the report using it for a previously compiled book report. Include quotes and numerous examples/details, which shows that the evaluators read the text themselves instead of its summary. Use quotes but do not exaggerate with them for greater effect. Also, consult your instructions – you would like to indicate page numbers from which quotes are taken in different quotation formats.
As we can deduce from above, it takes quite a time to write reports, and it takes a lot of time to read the book itself. If you are out of time, you can take on your job and submit a high-quality outline by our professional team of writers on graduateassignmentshelp.com.