Week 5 and worth 230 points
For a hospitality business to be successful, the management team must have a strong purchasing process which includes both selection and procurement. This process must be well-established in order to control costs and deliver the best possible product / service for its target customers.
For this assignment, you will choose one (1) major restaurant chain from the list below that uses central commissary and develop a new purchasing process for a single restaurant unit. You will use this restaurant chain as a framework (i.e., the menu, average restaurant size, and management / employee organizational structure) for developing a new purchasing process. Note: You must create your own purchasing process for a single restaurant unit based on the concepts you have learned in the course. Do NOT just report on the restaurant chain’s current purchasing process.
List of U.S. resturaunt chains, select one (1):
- Burger King
- Taco Bell
- Dunkin’ Donuts
- Pizza Hut
Write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you:
- Choose one (1) major restaurant chain and provide a brief overview including:
- a history of the chain
- the type of cuisine(s) and theme
- the number of restaurants
- the average restaurant size (seating capacity) and layout (both front and back of the house layouts)
- the standardized menu (both food and beverage)
- Describe the restaurant chain’s central commissary including the products it supplies and it doesn’t supply, and analyze how the central commissary benefits a single restaurant unit.
- Select at least three (3) purchasing technologies from the following list: inventory-tracking, storage management, product ordering, product identification, and bar-code reader. Explain how those you have chosen will be used to optimize the purchasing process for this restaurant chain.
- Explain how the new purchasing process for this restaurant unit follows and abides by the five (5) major purchasing objectives. Provide a rationale for each objective.
- Use at least three (3) quality references. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not quality as academic resources.