26 Feb 2021
answer those question
- Why would the EPL want to keep broadcasting rights under the league’s control as opposed to allowing the individual teams to license their own broadcasts?
- If there was more money in broadcasting, why would the league want to limit the number of games they allow to be broadcast?
- Do you think broadcasting has a positive or negative effect on sports attendance?
- If broadcasting a game were to keep people at home, would you be willing to give that up for the sake of the extra money broadcasting brings in?
- Even if you are still making more money broadcasting, how could the loss of attendance have a negative impact on your athletic department?
- What are the consequences of collective and exclusive selling by sports leagues of their broadcast rights?
- Does the control of sports broadcast rights allow the broadcaster to leverage its position and increase its monopoly power?
- Can ownership of sports teams by broadcasters have anti-competitive effects? (relating to the attempted purchase of Manchester United by the UK’s leading pay-television operator, BSkyB, in the early 2000s)
- Which approach would you use for sports broadcasting and which approach do you believe is the most economically beneficial?
- Do you think that sports broadcasting has a positive or negative effect on our society?
- What sport and what form of media has had the biggest impact on you? Why?
- What do you think life would be like without big sports broadcasters like ESPN, FOX, NBC, CBS, etc.?