For this essay, you will compare and contrast the character of Conrad Roy to the character Tyler Clementi. Your essay should focus specifically on how each character’s sense of self was affected by others’ perceptions of them via the sociological imagination and the looking-glass self. In your paper, you can focus on process (e.g., how interactions with others fostered a specific sense of self) and/or outcomes (e.g., why Conrad’s and Tyler’s stories ended so differently). In your paper, you must have a total of five sources – Chapter 7 of the DSS100 iBook, the two Case Studies, and two-peer reviewed sources on how self-image is affected by social interactions and personal struggles.
- 3-4 pages
- APA format
- Citations must be used throughout the entire essay, where appropriate
- Points will be deducted for spelling/grammatical errors, typos, and APA format errors
- Essays will be assessed using the Dialogues of Learning written communication rubric (see rubric in Canvas)
- The final copy of the paper must be submitted to Canvas as a Word or PDF document
A Note on Compare and Contrast Writing:
In a compare and contrast essay, two subjects are analyzed for their similarities and differences. Students are exposed to a wider variety of writing structures as they learn the classical organizational patterns of block arrangement vs. point by point. All compare and contrast papers consist of an introduction (with topic sentence), a body, and a conclusion. Guidelines for writing a compare and contrast essay are provided on Canvas, along with these assignment guidelines, and will also be discussed in class.
Some Writing Tips:
- You must cite evidence from at least two peer-reviewed sources to make your arguments when comparing and contrasting these figures
- The thesis statement must be defined and narrow enough to be supported within the essay.
- Each supporting paragraph must have a distinct controlling topic and all other sentences must factually relate directly to it. The transition words or phrases are important as they help the reader follow along and reinforce the logic.
- The conclusion paragraph should originally restate the thesis and the main supporting ideas. Finish with a statement that reinforces your position in a meaningful and memorable way. Never introduce new material in the conclusion.
Content Main Ideas:
Compare and contrast Conrad Roy and Tyler Clementi on how their sense of self was affected by others’ perceptions of them via the sociological imagination and looking glass self-theories.
* Please do not use plagiarism* Citations must be used through the essay and the citations used through the essay must be listed in the APA references below*
*The peered reviewed articles must be used from Lynn Library website*
*Read the looking glass self theory and compare*
*Please use simple grammar as my first language is not English*
The essay itself has to be four pages but the cover page and the reference page will make it 6