23 Feb 2021
- Week 4 Diversity DiscussionIn 1995, Nike created a television commercial about long-distance runner, Ric Muñoz, who has HIV. This commercial is unique because it is one of the only commercials to use HIV/AIDS thematically. The commercial shows Muñoz trail running with his feet pounding and steady breathing; this combined with intense, motivational background music. The following words run on the screen: 80 MILES EVERY WEEK . . . 10 MARATHONS EVERY YEAR . . . HIV-POSITIVE . . . JUST DO IT.Watch the commercial using the following link: Watch Video YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0PuDbuj1Pg
Then, discuss the following questions:
- What was Nike’s diversity message in 1995?
- What risks did Nike take by running this commercial?
- What was Nike’s goal with this commercial?
- What is Nike’s current stance on diversity?
- Has Nike maintained their strong support of the LGBT community and other diversity groups?