Thank you in advance for your assistance. This is my first time back in school after graduating HS in 09. I enrolled in an online class for Academic Writing. I am currently in Afghanistan due to military and have been very busy. I have struggled managing time in order to produce a research paper on The Bipolar Disorder.
My Thesis statement is along the lines of: To better understand the bipolar disorder we must consider that there are three types of the disorder; bipolar disorder I, bipolar disorder II, and Cyclothymia. The different symptoms among the types . And how it impacts the individual and those around.
I am attaching the first paragraph I managed to put together. The professor told me I needed to be more clear with the thesis statement. I don’t have a research question, just the thesis statement, professor is okay with that.
Bellow are the instruction the professor sent me.
Task: Write an essay using evidence to support a thesis that addresses your research question examining a current issue or event in the news from the perspective of your field of study. The audience is people who are generally educated but do not have extensive knowledge of your field.
Length: 1500-2000 words
Sources: Minimum of 6. At least 3 of these must be from scholarly journals, and all sources should be selected based on reliability, currency, and level of information/analysis. The UMUC library will be very useful in helping you find appropriate sources. You can, but do not have to, include all of the sources from your annotated bibliography.
Due date and grading: Due 03/24/19 by 11:59PM . It will be graded using a rubric and will count for 30% of your course grade. To view the grading rubric, please view the assignment through the Assignments area of the classroom.
Outcomes you should achieve by completing this assignment
The outcomes for this assignment are listed below, with the associated course outcomes in parentheses:
- Use research to write an essay that will inform or persuade an audience (Course outcome 1)
- Form unified, coherent, and well-supported paragraphs in support of the thesis statement (Course outcome 2)
- Select sources, use them to inform and support your writing, and document them in APA style (Course outcome 4)
- Demonstrate accurate grammar and mechanics in writing (Course outcome 3)
- Participate in the process of receiving feedback and revising your writing (Course outcome 1)
This essay is the culmination of your research project, in which you are examining a current issue or event in the news from the perspective of your field of study. Before drafting your essay, you will have chosen a topic, developed a research question, and identified several potential sources in an annotated bibliography. You should write on the same topic for this essay, unless your professor has asked you to make changes to your topic.
Organizing and supporting your essay
As you write your essay, be sure to include the following:
- an engaging introductory paragraph that includes an effective and clear thesis statement
- any definition of terms or background information that your reader is likely to need to understand your paper
- unified, supported, and coherent body paragraphs that defend the thesis
- an effective conclusion
Research is a key element of this paper. Take care to support your claims with research throughout the paper. Include APA in-text citations whenever you use sources, whether through quote, paraphrase, or summary. An APA reference list at the end of the paper should list all of the sources cited in the text of the paper.
Point of view
This essay will be written in an academic style. Use third person point of view. Do not use “I” or “you.”
Formatting your assignment
Incorporate these elements of APA style:
- Use one-inch margins.
- Double space.
- Use an easy-to-read font between 10-point and 12-point.
- Include a title page with the title of your paper, your name, and the name of your school.