Philanthropy (n.) – “Goodwill to fellow members of the human race; especially an active effort to promote human welfare.” (Merriam-Webster)
Written above is the standard definition of philanthropy; essentially an act of charity. So what is the difference between an act of philanthropy when done by an individual versus a corporation? In short, there is no difference.
Corporate Philanthropy is the act of a corporation or business promoting the welfare of others, generally via charitable donations of funds or time.
With corporations donating more than $17 billion per year to nonprofit organizations and charities (Links to an external site.), corporate philanthropy has become a hot button topic.
For the week 2 Reflection/Application memo please discuss why corporations do and do not engage in corporate philanthropy. Please share some of your research.
PS – Following is a list of the 10 most common forms of corporate philanthropy:
- Matching gifts
- Fundraising matches
- Dollars for doers
- Team volunteer grants
- Community grants
- Volunteer support programs
- Automatic payroll deductions
- No strings attached annual grant stipends
- Internal employee fundraising campaigns
- Annual giving
And following is a link to the article ‘10 Companies Doing Corporate Philanthropy Right‘: https://doublethedonation.com/tips/corporate-philanthropy-examples-10-leaders/ (Links to an external site.)
What I am looking for in your reaction/application ‘memos’
First, I am looking a summary of something you have read and/or watched. This is to help you to clarify what you read and/or watched and to enable me, as your instructor, to determine whether you have understood it.
Second, because a summary is limited to presenting others’ ideas, I have included a reaction element to the assignment, to find out what your opinion is. The reaction element of the memo usually comes after you have stated the author’s main ideas and main supporting evidence by stating your own responses to those ideas and supporting them with your own evidence and thinking. I am looking for analysis and recommendations. One of my main goals for this assignment is to help you develop and hone your critical thinking and written communication skills.
- General Guidelines for your Reaction / Application ‘memos’.
Your memos should be printed on standard, white 8.5” x 11” paper.
· Single-space the text of your paper, and use Times New Roman font. The font size should be 12 pt.
· Leave only one space after periods or other punctuation marks.
· Double space between paragraphs.
· The margins of your document should be 1” on all sides.
· Your memo should be long enough to provide a ‘summary’ that enables me to determine whether or not you have a robust understanding of the material assigned as well as your critical analysis and recommendations. Typically below average is fewer than 2.5 pages, average is typically between 2.5 to 3.0 pages, and above average is typically greater than 3 pages in length. However, this is not a hard-set guideline. To reiterate, an average memo long enough to provide a ‘summary’ that enables me to determine whether or not you have understood the material assigned as well as your critical analysis and recommendations.