Danny Jones is a sixteen-year-old boy who has been truant from school and has been detained by the police for loitering outside the local mall during school hours.
Robin Smith is a fifteen-year-old girl who has committed a murder as part of being initiated into a street gang.
On the basis of the two scenarios, respond to the following:
- Which scenario would be more typical of a common juvenile offender? Why? While responding, consider your state which is the state of Georgia-, or national-level data on juvenile offending.
- Analyze the following and support your analysis with research:
- Is juvenile crime on the rise or decline?
- What are status offenses, and how do they differ from other types of offenses?
- What role has the mass media played in the understanding of what a typical juvenile offender is?
- What challenges do false perceptions or myths about juvenile offenders present in the treatment of juvenile offenders and for people who work with juvenile offenders?