19 Feb 2021
Recap of Research Essay Requirements
- Choose one of the prompts from the Essay 1 Guidelines
- Develop a clear, debatable thesis statement
- Minimum 1000 words (not including heading or works cited)
- MLA format (including works-cited page)
- No more than 15% of your paper should consist of other people’s ideas/words (In other words, don’t try to pack in a bunch of random quotes)
- Primary source (the text you are analyzing)
- TWO credible secondary articles from PEER-REVIEWED JOURNALS
- ONLY IF YOU WANT EXTENSIVE FEEDBACK–Next to your name in the heading, indicate you want extensive feedback by writing the following: (Requesting Feedback).
- Remember: Do not provide plot summary. Analyze the text and use articles from PEER-REVIEWED journals
This is the prompt for the essay
- James Baldwin’s “Sonny’s Blues”: One critic has noted what he calls “a cultural chasm” between Sonny and the narrator, despite the brothers’ having grown up together. What evidence can you cite that a cultural division exists, and what does the narrator’s inability to see Sonny as “serious” indicate about their differences? Locate the article that discusses the “cultural chasm” between the brothers. Consider researching psychology articles that explore the relationships between brothers.
I uploaded pieces of the story