04 Feb 2021
- Becoming a Good Thinker
- The goal of this assignment is to progress as a questioner and, therefore, as a thinker. For this assignment, select an important problem faced by society today (e.g., income inequality, gun violence, online privacy), and construct three questions that will result in critical thinking using the assignment template.
- In the template, under the first column, provide your own original questions related to your chosen important problem.
- In the second column, identify the domain of thinking.
- In the third column, list the intellectual standards and element of thought that relates to your question. Briefly explain why the question is important in this context (i.e., the elements of thought or reasoning that led you to this thinking).
- The eight elements of thought.
- Eight Element of Thought:
1. Point of View– frames of reference, perspective, orientations world view; 2. Purpose– Goal, objective, function; 3. Question at issue- problem, issue; 4. Information– data, facts, reasons observations, experiences, reasons; 5. Interpretation and inference- conclusions, solution; 6. Concepts– Theories, definitions, law, principles, models; 7. Assumptions– presuppositions, axioms, taking for granted; 8. Implications and Consequences– that which follows logically, effects
- The intellectual standards.
- In the fourth column, label your question as fact, preference, or judgment.