Facts: Google is a multinational Internet service corporation headquartered in California, known globally for its search engine. As of 2015, there were 61,814 employees and annual revenue of $67.38 billion.
Leadership: CEO Larry Page CEO and Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt.
Mission/values: To organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.
The breach: Google’s hacking dilemma started at least a year before the company’s knowledge in December 2009. According to a published report, former government officials said Google discovered that Chinese hackers were using a tactic called “spear phishing,” which presents users with links that download malicious programs to their computers. Google revealed the attack in January 2010, stating hackers stole the source code for Google’s search engine and also singled out e-mail accounts critical of human rights advocates for China. Google also found that a database that contained information on judges’ orders regarding permission to monitor e-mails had also been compromised.
Here are the nine roles of cybersecurity:
- assessing system vulnerabilities
- determining potential threats to systems
- assessing risks to systems
- performing penetration (white-hat) hacking of systems
- performing forensics on systems that have been breached or attacked
- auditing systems for security compliance and strength assessments
- recommending enhancements to system and data security
- performing subject matter expert witness to court and legal case proceedings
- making recommendations to policy and legal experts on cyber issues.
In response to the case study, your team will write an instructive white paper 4 pages) that analyzes a company’s management and leadership environment in a particularly challenging period. Your paper should:
- review the issues of the case study as background for the events relating to the role of the leadership and teams
- analyze the leadership practices of the organization in the case study, and define the practices that leaders used to create collaborative and successful teams, or failed to effect successful working relations resulting in negative conditions
- analyse the impact of the most relevant one or two of the nine cybersecurity role listed in the overview above
- propose remedial principles and practices that the organization might adopt to enable a better outcome
- Be sure you consider how each of the nine roles do or could apply as you review the case study. Your team can choose one of these cases or look for other options.
Here are some sources you should use
Drummond, D. (2010, January 12). A new approach to China. Google Public Policy Blog. Retrieved from http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/2010/01/new…
Google. (2006). Mission. Retrieved from https://www.google.com/about/company/
Nakashima, E. (2013, May 20). Chinese hackers who breached Google gained access to sensitive data, US officials say. Washington Post. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-secu…
Statista. (2016). Number of full-time Google employees from 2007 to 2015. Retrieved from http://www.statista.com/statistics/273744/number-o…