The purpose of this assignment is to apply the tools of external analysis to an industry. Choose an industry in which there are publicly traded companies. This is necessary to ensure that you will find information to complete the assignment. You may not choose the automobile industry, which we have discussed in class.
First, you will identify the relevant industry in what may be a broadly defined industry. Then, for your chosen industry you will conduct an analysis of Porter’s competitive forces and identify relevant factors in the macro environment that influence performance in this industry. Last, summarize your findings in a summary of environmental opportunities and threats.
- Identify the relevant industry on which your analysis will focus.
- Identify major competitors in the same peer group within the industry.
- Discuss factors in the macro environment (PESTEL analysis), identifying whether each factor creates opportunities or threats within the industry.
- Using Porter’s framework, identify the competitive forces operating in this embryonic industry. Describe whether each force creates opportunities or threats within the industry.
- Integrate the information from your analysis to answer the following:
- Identify and explain the top two firms in the industry.
- Identify and explain the bottom one or two firms in the industry.
- Justify your answers in (a) and (b) with profitability and valuation ratio comparisons among the competitors you identified in Question 2.
Presentation Style Requirements
- Create a 15-20 slide PowerPoint presentation, which must include answers to all assigned questions.
- Use a minimum font size of 24 and no more than five bullets per slide.
- Include a list of references at the end of the presentation.
The topic is Telecommunications, use the PDF in the attachment for the data, Also provide Notes for each point.