19 Jan 2021
English 1301 Report Essay Outline
- Introduce the topic of the essay. (Are new generations smarter due to internet changes?)
- Background according to history and topicality (recent relevance) should be established.
- (-VI?)Carefully analyze subtopics from each perspective in a compare-and-contrast format that touches one subtopic at a time (such as ethics, economics, types of effects, and so on).
- Use a rhetorical tool, or several, to draw interest in the topic, possibly through a question, scenario, anecdote, series of facts, numbers, authoritative testimony, examples, or metaphors.
- State a thesis on the ambivalently viewed issue that fairly assesses both sides’ perspectives on the SIRS topic, using the question formed in SIRS to help form the thesis.
- Define key terms.
- Describe varying categories.
- Present reasons and consequences for each side’s position.
- Clarify any moral or technical dilemmas.
VII.Bridge into your own surveys of locals.
- Note results of a T/F knowledge survey.
- Note results of a Y/N opinion survey.
VIII.Conclude with a balanced summary of the divided positions on your topic.