1. Write about the following in your journal:
Some instances of abuse are clear in the sense that events or occurrences are easily identifiable. When considering the complexities of abuse, neglect and exploitation, we may draw from personal beliefs and experiences to make our decision whether an event is abuse, neglect or exploitation. In cases such as self-neglect, you might be a witness to a person’s poor home environment or their personal choices that may lead you to believe that the elder person’s living situation is “less than desirable.” In your professional role, should you encounter this situation, how do you propose to manage your beliefs and attitudes in situations like this, while also respecting the freedom of choice of older adults? 300 words.
2. Write about the following in your journal:
Do you believe that pay-for-play insurance models are equal for all citizens? Why or why not? Think about what it takes to be healthy, such as eating healthy foods and getting appropriate exercise. Discuss your perspective about someone who works two full-time jobs to make ends meet and who is unable to find time to exercise and is thus disadvantaged compared to someone who works one full-time job and can frequent the gym to exercise. How might educational differences play into inequality resulting from the pay-or-play insurance models? 300 words.
3. Describe a policy solution that would support the role of family caregivers. An example might include a tax deduction for financial expense incurred by caregiving that allows the family member to recoup a small or significant amount of financial resources. 300 words.
4. Describe a policy solution that should be implemented to reduce the cost of chronic illness. Include details of the policy itself and how it would be implemented. 300 words.
5. Write about the following in your journal:
Consider the multiple costs of dementia. The impact of dementia on individuals, as well as on their families, is significant; but what about the costs that ripple through the healthcare system, as well as through society? Describe the economic and emotional costs that dementia has on multiple levels. 300 words.
- Broese van Groenou, M. I., & De Boer, A. (2016). Providing informal care in a changing society. European Journal of Ageing, 13(3), 271–279.
- Huckabee, M. (2006). A vision for a healthier America: What the states can do. Health Affairs (Project Hope), 25(4), 1005–1008.
- Hurd, M. D., Martorell, P., Delavande, A., Mullen, K. J., & Langa, K. M. (2013). Monetary costs of dementia in the United States. New England Journal of Medicine, 368(14), 1326–1334.
- Dieleman, J. L., Squires, E., Bui, A. L., Campbell, M., Chapin, A., Hamavid, H., & … Li, Z. (2017). Factors associated with increases in U.S. health care spending, 1996-2013. JAMA: Journal of The American Medical Association, 318(17), 1668–1678.
- Rother, J. (2016). Top of the administration’s agenda: Stem the rising cost of healthcare. Generations, 40(4), 30–37.