English 124 Current Event Essay 3 Prompt
For your third paper you will be required to write an essay at least
8 pages long
building an argument based on one of the topics covered in Chapters 18-20, 23-25, or the Classic
Arguments section of your textbook. Choose which chapter you wish to use, draw evidence
from the readings in that chapter, and make a persuasive argument of your own based on the
chapter’s topic. These chapters and classic arguments give you a wide range of choices for
topics, so choose the one you find most interesting.
Your essay needs to be clear and unified under your thesis. Make sure to include specific
evidence from the articles you read, to show how and why you analyzed the articles the way you
did in your essay. Make sure to review the section in your textbook on proper MLA citation for
any quotes or paraphrases you use from your outside source.
Make sure to use one or more
sources outside the book to support your argument.
Successful papers will have:
1. A developed introductory paragraph, with a clear thesis.
What argument will you
make about the topic you have chosen? What key evidence will you
use for support?
2. Well-supported, unified body paragraphs with specific examples that reinforce your
thesis. Evidence must support the position taken in your introduction.
demonstrate the student’s own thoughts about the topic, supported
by the articles they read from the chapter they selected.
3. Student must describe and refute at least one counterargument to their essay.
4. Smoothly integrated quotes from the book and one or more outside source. (10 points)
5. A conclusion that summarizes your main point, and offers a final thought about the value
of your argument. (10 points)
6. Your paper will also be thoroughly edited for sentence-level errors. If you have any
questions on sentence structure or grammar, visit the Writing Center, or see me in my
office. (5 points)