31 Dec 2020
ASSIGNMENT: Choose a Native American cultural product to analyze.
I choose Music— a song, album, video or performer’
The artist is Radmilla Cody
As you analyze, consider the following questions as they apply to your selected cultural product:
- How does this cultural product contain or promote Native American values?
- How is it representative of wider social assumptions that are reproduced and circulated and/or published, including the scope and method of circulation?
- How is the product experienced or interpreted?
- How does it contribute to and actively shape Native American cultural ideals and expectations?
- How does it support or revise conventional ideas, practices, or expectations?
- How does it utilize symbolism to create meaning?
- How does it participate in influencing the formation of personal or group identity?
- What is its role in society?
- What essential elements of its form (visual or textual composition, style, presentation) contribute to its meaning?
- How does it adhere to conventions of a larger genre or category? (the “genre” may be action movies, men’s magazines, etc.)
In the process of considering these questions, you should conduct research to become better informed about possible topics.
After considering these guiding questions, determine which question or questions lead you to develop an insightful and informed interpretation of the significance of a cultural product.
In generating your idea for this essay, identify the elements of the cultural product that best support your central interpretation and craft a coherent essay presenting and defending that interpretation.
Audience: Your audience is your instructor and other members of the class, representative of an adult, educated, academic audience.
Utilize a search strategy and library databases to locate appropriate academic sources.
When utilizing sources in your paper, remember to integrate sources smoothly, supplying source introductions and clarifying comments as needed. Remember, too, to quote judiciously, employing paraphrase and summary when appropriate.
Document sources in parenthetical citations and on a Works Cited page or Bibliography as appropriate to the style format in use.
ASSIGNMENT REQUIREMENTS & SPECIFICATIONS:
MLA style format and documentation for parenthetical citations and a Works Cited page/ Bibliography.
You must insert an object related to the cultural product into the body of your paper. This could be a video or sound file or an image.
Utilize a minimum of three academically appropriate secondary TEXTUAL sources in addition to any primary source/s (the cultural product) and the inserted object (5 sources total).
The paper should be 4-6 pages of text, not including the inserted object, typed in Times New Roman 12-pt font, double-spaced with 1” margins. The Works Cited/Bibliography page is not included in the assigned page length.