You are a Health System Administrator for Jones & Jones Hospital—a 400-bed investor-owned (for profit) academic health institution in the nation’s capital. Your hospital’s Board of Directors (BoD) has been discussing the importance of an integrated healthcare system. The BoD are considering partnering with the VA. However, they are not versed on the differences between federal government owned hospitals such as the VA and an investor-owned (for-profit) academic health institution like Jones & Jones. Before they make their decision, you have been invited by the BoD to present your views on the topic.
This week, your assignment is to develop a comprehensive briefing in support of or against the concept of partnering with the VA as an integrated healthcare delivery system. Ensure you discuss the following in your presentation to the BoD:
- Explain the concept of an integrated health system.
- Differences between the two types of hospitals— investor-owned (for-profit) academic health institution versus the hospital system of the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Discuss issues surrounding funding, access, and quality of care received by VA patient beneficiaries.
- Explain the two types of hospitals in terms of healthcare services and the effect of patient demographics on the healthcare delivery system.
- State the advantages and disadvantages of such partnership with the VA.
- State your position and support your decision as to why you think Jones & Jones should or shouldn’t form an integrated system with the VA.
Length: Prepare your response to the BoD in a 2-3 page briefing.
References: Support your work with a minimum of three scholarly resources referenced on a separate page.
Your briefing should demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the ideas and concepts presented in the course and provide new thoughts and insights relating directly to this topic. Your response should reflect scholarly writing and current APA standards when required.