Assessments are valuable in planning for culturally competent service delivery. In identifying relevant information, assessments must survey the community, clients served, and the program or services offered. Each assessment has two key goals: to determine how culturally competent the agency’s services are and to provide information for a long-term improvement and sustainability plan. According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), assessment focuses on the following questions:
- What is the composition of the local population?
- Are all those who need care being served in the program?
- What is the level of satisfaction with the program among clients from minority groups?
- How prepared and competent is the program to meet the treatment needs of the diverse groups in the community?
For this assignment:
1. Research a program within a human services agency.
2. Write a 3-4-page paper in which you use the questions provided by SAMHSA (above) to assess the program.
- Who are the clients being served?
- What is the referral process?
- What is the completion rate for the program?
- Are the clients satisfied?
3. Evaluate the effectiveness of the program in meeting the needs of the population it intends to serve.
- Performing Cultural Competence AssessmentThis web link includes the Cultural Competency and Community Assessments for service delivery.
- Community Advancement Network This web link includes resources to understand diversity and inclusion.
- Natural Center for Cultural Competence This web link provides a variety of resources and assessments to enhance individual and organizational cultural competency.
- Organization Assessments for Cultural Competency This web link includes a variety of tools and samples related to organizational assessment for cultural competency.
- 10 Qualities of Culturally Competent Leaders This web link includes a blog article related to the qualities of culturally competent leaders.
- The Culturally Competent Leader The web link leads to a book chapter about culturally competent leaders.
- Wilmington University Library