The first steps toward narrowing the gap between research and practice are recognizing that one exists and
educating oneself and others. Social workers must realize the benefits and eliminate the misconceptions surrounding evidence-based practice. In the Bradley episode featured in the resources, the social worker combines her assessment of Tiffani Bradley’s individual situation with her knowledge of research to evaluate her supervisor’s recommended intervention. Now that the social worker has recognized a gap, she/he/they need to access potentially relevant information for a specific case and critically analyze for its applicability to that case. This week’s Assignment allows you to practice these critical next steps in the Bradley family case.
To prepare for this Assignment, review Episode 4 of the Bradley family case study. Develop a list with 2–3 researchable questions that you could use to find evidence about the efficacy of 12-step programs or other treatments for substance abuse in adolescents. Then, using the resources provided, search for two evidence-based interventions that would be appropriate for Tiffani Bradley. Be sure to consider quality of research, readiness for dissemination, replications, and costs.
Submit a 2- to 3-page paper that includes the following: (Please be very detailed in response, use 3 APA references, and use sub-headings in responses)
- Summaries of the two interventions and their respective research regarding effectiveness.
- Recommendations for Tiffani’s social worker that address the following:
- Factors to consider when choosing between the two interventions
- The social work skills that the staff would require to implement the intervention
- The training required to implement each intervention
- An evaluation of evidenced-based practice based on your reaction to the experience, in which you address the following questions:
- Appropriate APA citations in your writing
Laureate Education (Producer). (2013a). Bradley family episode 4 [Video file]. In Sessions. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu