Mid-Quarter Writing Project: 1800s Reform Movement Leader Short Documentary Writing Assignment (TGA)
The paper is due: 3/04/19
After completing this writing assignment, students will be able to:
- Understand why the 1840s and 1850s was a pivotal era in world history
- Study significant issues and events of the decades, including the Abolitionist Movement, the Woman’s Suffrage Movement, lead up to the US Civil War, and Underground Railroad
- Learn how these events shaped the future of the US
- Learn about people and reform movements that played important roles in dramatic political and social events
- Research information from video and audio footage
How to get started:
- First, choose one short documentary to watch from the Bio Channel’s collection of short documentaries on the leaders of Reform Movements of the 1840s and 1850s found in the links below. You only have to write a paper on one but are encouraged to watch all four. None of the documentaries are longer than 5 minutes in length. Then, choose the documentary that interests you the most. Do not use documentaries found on other websites.
- Remember, choose and write your paper on just one of the short documentaries below:
Frederick Douglass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hi4jIZg0cI
Sojourner Truth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-HfiryNoXY
Susan B. Anthony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-suAlXQhMI
Harriet Tubman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCkuph8zHsU
2. Your paper should be at least four full paragraphs long (paragraphs should be no less than 4 sentences each in length) and must answer the following four questions. Please answer each question separately in its own paragraph and be sure to include the question at the top of each paragraph.
Paragraph Question I:
What was your documentary about? What historical figure and Reform Movement did it cover? What historical images did it use?
Paragraph Question II:
Please describe in detail who was interviewed. Include their first and last names, what they said about the historical figure and the times that they lived in and why you believe they were interviewed.
Paragraph Question III:
Why is it important to interview experts on historical figures and historical movements to better understand the contributions of those historical figures and historical movements?
Paragraph Question IV:
What did you learn from the documentary you watched? Please be specific.
3. The top of your paper must include your full name, teacher & subject & date on the right-hand side. In the center below, you must include the title of the paper, which is “1800s Reform Movement Leader Short Documentary Writing Assignment,” and below that, the title of your documentary exactly as it appears on the website. Please see the example below of what the top of your paper should look like.
Example of what the top of your paper should look like:
Your full name
Mr. Wheeler, American History Section 1
Assignment: “1800s Reform Movement Leader Short Documentary Writing Assignment”
Documentary title: “Sojourner Truth – Mini Biography.”