1. Review the following scenario:
You are the new HR General Manager at Australian Hardware.
In order to help the organisation realise its strategic goals, you will need to ensure a coordinated and integrated approach to performance management across the organisation. You will need to:
● analyse organisational plans and policies
● create objectives for performance management and develop integrated processes
● consult with line managers and other management stakeholders to ensure support and smooth implementation
● plan the effective implementation of performance management processes.
In undertaking this activity you will be guided by your knowledge of building organisational capability and managing talent to achieve both shorter and longer-term organisational goals.
2. Review the Australian Hardware simulated business information provided in addition information segment and analyse the organisational documents – such as strategic and operational plans – in order to understand the Australian Hardware simulated business, including its vision and strategic objectives. Identify objectives and policies to be reflected in integrated performance management processes that you will develop for implementation.
3. Use provided template to develop performance management plan to support the Australian Hardware organisational strategy. You must develop at least three objectives for performance management and plan implementation of processes related to the objectives you have developed. Performance management objectives could address areas of performance management such as KPI setting, ongoing performance monitoring and management and performance appraisals.
Performance management planning Performance objectives
Performance management objectives
4. Design a process – such as methods, a set of procedures or tools – to assist managers to develop KPIs for the employees reporting to them. Ensure that the performance management process is flexible enough to cover the range of employment situations that exist within the Australian Hardware simulated business.
5. Arrange with your assessor to role-play consultation with two managers to ensure objectives, and processes for developing KPIs are understood, agreeable and feasible for managers to implement.
Ensure you act during your consultation in a way designed to ensure support for your processes. Be prepared to demonstrate your knowledge of the role of HR in building organisational capability, contributing to the development of a learning organisation, and achieving organisational success.
Note: As a result of consultation, you may gain support for implementation of the performance-management processes or you may need to amend your three objectives and your process – methods, procedures or tools – to meet the needs of various manager stakeholders. Make sure you obtain approval for the objectives/ implementation plan and your process – methods, procedures or tools before you implment the system
1. Prepare a 1-2 page written reflection on the activities you have undertaken during this Assessment Task to develop performance management processes and plan implementation. Ensure you explain your planning choices with respect to:
a. relevance to specific organisational goals and the broader role of performance management in building organisational capability
b. characteristics of learning organisations
c. application of policies to your planning of processes
d. application of grievance procedures to your planning of processes
e. discussion of design options chosen or ruled out to build organisational capability and meet the needs of the organisation.
2. Submit the required documents for assessment as per the specifications below. Be sure to keep a copy for your records.