[u06a1] Unit 6 Assignment 1
Using a SWOT Analysis for Strategic Thinking
You will synthesize your internal and external analyses for your selected firm Ford into a PowerPoint presentation of 8-12 slides (with speaker’s notes), including a SWOT table and potential strategic actions the company could take to address the issues raised by the analyses. More slides if needed. The ford logo does not have to be on all slides. Just the lst one. I will attach a copy of a power point to follow as an example. Do not copy exactly. I will also attach a copy of the design I want to use.
By successfully completing this assignment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assignment criteria:
- Competency 2 – Analyze the strategic fit of an organization’s business model.
- Illustrate the key strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats using a SWOT table.
- Relate the SWOT analysis to key strategic actions for the selected firm.
- Competency 4 – Analyze the strategic fit of organizational resources and capabilities.
- Examine the internal resources, capabilities and competencies of the selected firm.
- Competency 6 – Evaluate an organization’s strategic fit with the external industry environment.
- Analyze the firm’s external environment including its general environment, industry, and competitive position.
- Competency 7 – Communicate in a manner that is professional and consistent with expectations for members of the business professions.
- Write coherently to support a central idea (in appropriate APA format) with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics as expected of a business professional.
If necessary, familiarize yourself with Microsoft’s PowerPoint program and a SWOT analysis format. Both will be required in this assignment. To explain and support your internal and external analyses, five current, scholarly, or professional resources are needed.
Develop a PowerPoint presentation of 8-12 slides (with speaker’s notes) that synthesizes the internal and external analyses for your selected firm. Your presentation is to include a well-developed SWOT analysis, a summary of potential strategic actions and the following:
Summary of SWOT Analysis
- Examine the internal resources, capabilities and competencies of the selected firm using key strategic management tools and models such as the VIRO Framework and Value Chain.
- Look specifically for capabilities that are required for the company’s competitive advantage.
- Be specific about the firm’s resources (both tangible and intangible) that seem most strategically important, now and in your vision of the company’s future strategic development.
- Cleary state where firm Strengths and Weaknesses are found.
- Analyze the firm’s external environment including its general environment, industry, and competitive position. Choose a strategic management model such as PEST analysis or Porter’s Five Forces Model to use in this analysis. Clearly state where external Opportunities and Threats are found.
- Illustrate the key strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats using a SWOT table. You might also develop a SWOT figure that depicts your findings in a way that allows for more effective integration and synthesis of your key ideas.
Strategic Actions Based on SWOT Analysis
- Relate the SWOT analysis to the key strategic actions the selected firm could take to further its alignment and long-term success.
- How can you relate internal strengths and weaknesses with opportunities and threats in the external environment? Are there capabilities that need to be enhanced in order to capitalize on opportunities or reduce threats? Are there capabilities that can be divested because they no longer are need in the current or projected environment?
- What are the strategic actions that would align specific strengths and weaknesses with specific opportunities and threats?
Your presentation should be written clearly and be communicated effectively to organizational leadership in a business environment. Keep in mind that the audience is an upper level leadership audience, so formatting your content to appeal to that audience will help your presentation be on point.
- References: Support your PPT presentation with at least five academic resources from the Capella University Library. You must use proper APA style and format for citations and references.
- Length: 8–10 PPT slides (with speaker’s notes), plus references.
- Written communication: Demonstrate graduate-level writing skills through accurate communication of thoughts that convey the overall goals of the analysis and do not detract from the message.
- Font: Times New Roman, 12 point.
Refer to the Using a SWOT Analysis for Strategic Thinking Scoring Guide to ensure that you meet the grading criteria for this assignment.
Note: Your instructor may also use the Writing Feedback Tool to provide feedback on your writing. In the tool, click the linked resources for helpful writing information.