Helping Those in Need
[WLOs: 1, 3] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7]
For your Final Paper, you will select a group served by human services. You will need to thoroughly research this group so please ensure you locate resources beyond the textbook to assist you (e.g., credible, professional online sources and scholarly articles from the Ashford University Library). Please select one of the following groups:
· Women and children
· African Americans
· Mentally ill
· Substance Abusers
In your paper,
· Examine and research the history of social welfare policy pertaining to this group, discussing their needs from a social welfare program. Have members been oppressed or discriminated against, suffered from lack of income or being homeless or indigent or have they had other needs such as accessing healthcare?
· Identify laws that were passed and programs established that have either helped or restricted members’ accessing care and support.
· Identify the philosophical attitudes and perspectives that have led to either the supporting or lack of understanding for and marginalizing of this group.
· Identify the resources available in your area for this group.
· Discuss any personal experiences or insights relating to this group, if applicable.
· Explain the roles that human service workers perform in working with this group, highlighting what characteristics are necessary for human service workers.
· Discuss beneficial interventions or strategies.
· Discuss how this group could be better served, listing at least two ways a human service worker could be a change agent on a client’s behalf.
The Your Helping Those in Need Final Paper
· Must be eight to 10 double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s APA Style (Links to an external site.)
· Must include a separate title page with the following:
· Title of paper
· Student’s name
· Course name and number
· Instructor’s name
· Date submitted For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to APA Formatting for Word 2013 (Links to an external site.).
· Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
· Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
· For assistance on writing Introductions & Conclusions (Links to an external site.) as well as Writing a Thesis Statement (Links to an external site.), refer to the Ashford Writing Center resources.
· Must use at least five credible sources.
· The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
· Must document any information used from sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.)
· Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. See the Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Ashford Writing Center for specifications.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.