What type of mutant organism would you make if you had the technology? Would you create a new type of worm with longevity? A mutant rice with increased nutritional value? A dog that glows in the dark? All of these currently exist. Think about it; use your imagination; be creative!. What unique organism would you create?
1. Decide what type of organism and what type of mutation you would like to create. (You can pick human, plant, animal, bacteria – whatever you fancy.)
2. Think about what sort of specific technology/techniques you want to use: cloning, molecular gene manipulation, breeding, etc. Be specific about the method (there are many different molecular gene manipulation methods). What genes or proteins will you target to get the phenotype you desire?
3. Explain how your organism will benefit society, ie. justify the expense of funding your research to create this mutant.
4. Draw a detailed picture of your mature organism (May also make clay or other media model if desired.) Take a picture of your drawing. Convert to pdf with CamScanner or other App.
5. Post the picture and a description of your mutant proposal in the discussion area of Canvas:
Information to include in your post in addition to your picture:
a. Scientific name of your mutant (Genus species)
b. Explanation of its abilities or phenotype.
c. Description of genes/proteins targeted and method used
d. Benefit to society