Need this essay to be done on Thursday August 29, 2019 @ 11am Pacific Time Zone . Instructions are attached to this post. Follow it to a T. Drop me a PM if you have questions. Please have mercy on the pricing as I’m a broke boy. Thank you.
Journal module 2
Refer to the case study, The Purchased Paper in the file below. In your Journal, explain your rankings of the characters. Consider: Who did you assign to #1 (most responsible?) #6 (least responsible?) Are there parts of this story you can relate to? What choices might you have made? Just need a 1 paragraph answer. You can read the case study below or read it here: https://clpccd.instructure.com/courses/12873/files/3019931/download
THE PURCHASED PAPER
One dark and stormy Thursday in December, first
You might as well start looking for a new roommate. My coll
ege days are
coming to an end.”
Edgar‘s bad luck had started late that afternoon with a voicemail from
of the office supply store
where Edgar worked part time.
I just found out,
the message said,
the regional manager wants an inventory of the entire store comple
ted by Monday morning. To get
this done, I need everyone at the store from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm on Friday, Saturday, and
excuses. Be t
What a disaster!
Edgar thought. He had planned to spend the whole weekend working on the
final paper for
his composition class. It was due Monday morning, and he couldn‘t imagine writing a
passing paper while working 12
hour shifts all weekend. Worse, without at least a C in English, he‘d
lose his financial aid, and then he‘d have to drop out of college. The
money he made working part
time barely covered his food, rent, car payments and insurance, and there was no way he could pay
tuition on top of that.
, Edgar‘s single mom, was planning to buy a new car
and she made it perfectly clea
r she wasn‘t g
oing to help with his tuition.
I‘ve taken care of
you and your brother for 24 years, and now it‘s
time to enjoy life!
Panicked, Edgar called
to tell her he wouldn‘t be able to turn in his
composition on time. He explained
his situation to he
r and begged for an extension. “I‘m sorry,
Edgar,” Professor Pine replied. “
I warned everyone weeks ago that I have to turn in final grades on
Tuesday. If I don‘t get your paper on Monday morning, you‘ll get a zero. I guess you‘ve g
important choice to make!”
“That‘s no choice,” Edgar told Billy. “
If I fail the class, I‘ll lose my financial aid, and if I
don‘t show up for work, I‘ll get fired. Eith
I‘m through in college.”
No one writes thei
r own papers anymore. There are thousands of papers for sale on the
ernet. I‘ll even find you one.”
But all weekend at work, Edgar kept telling himself that he was
going to turn in a
purchased paper. He‘d write the paper himself, even if he had to s
tay awake the whole weekend. But
after work on Friday and Saturday nights, he was too tired to concentrate so he went to bed vowing
to write the paper Sunday night no matter what. When Edgar returned from work exhausted on
ht, Billy met him at th
e door. “
Great news! I found you an English paper on the
and it‘s a guaranteed ‘A.’
I printed it out with your name on it, and I had a campus security guard put
it in Professor Pine‘s mailbox. Your semester is officially over, my friend, and now y
with me to Clancy‘s to celeb
rate. The first round is on me.”
He grabbed Edgar by the arm
dragged him out the door. “All right, all right,” Edgar said. “
‘m too tired to argue.”
It took Professor Pine about five minutes of searching the Internet to find the essay that Edgar
had submitted. She liked Edgar and knew he was under a lot of pressure. Actually Edgar had some
good writing skills, and if she didn‘t count this plagiarized p
aper, he‘d easily get a C in English, keep
his financial aid, and stay in college.
Everyone needs a break once in a while
, she thought. But when
she told her colleague
that she was going to overlook Edgar‘s
rized paper, he exploded.
Oh, no you‘re not! You have to fail this guy and make an example
of him! Otherwise, you‘ll get a reputation as a sucker and a pushover. Worse, once that happens
you‘ll lose the respect of your colleagues. Don‘t even think about p
by Professor Cordova‘s reprimand, Professor Pine wrote a zero on Edgar‘s paper and
entered an F for his final grade.
* * * * *
Listed below are the characters in this story. Rank them in order of their responsibility for Edgar’s
failing grade in English
. Give a different score to each character. Be prepared to explain your
1 2 3 4 5 6
__ Edgar Allen, English student __ Billy, Edgar’s roommate
__ Mr. Long, Edgar’s boss
__ Mrs. Allen, Edgar’s mother
__ Prof. Pine, Edgar’s teacher __ Prof. Cordova, Prof. Pine’s
Diving Deeper: Is there someone not mentioned in the story who may also bear responsibility
for Edgar Allen’s failing grade?
© Skip Downing (with thanks to Jan McMannis &
Pam Allen of the U. of Pittsburgh for the original idea and to
Robin Middleton of Jamestown Community College for important contributions to this version.)
Module 2 Assignment
As a way for you to become more familiar with the different macromolecules that are essential for life, we will be focusing on carbohydrates for this assignment. You will read a case study of a typical family disagreement over breakfast foods then read information from studies, interpret food labels and develop an essay on whether you agree or disagree with the solution posed in the case study.
To get more background on Macromolecules see the PowerPoint reference for Module 2 below . Also refer to Chapter 2 in your Human Biology 11th Edition by Cecie Star and Beverly McMillan textbook.
As you go through this powerpoint on Atoms and Chemical Bonds take notes against these Learning Objectives:
· Understand the basic chemical structure of atoms, and demonstrate how chemical bonding occurs in atoms to create molecules and compounds (Ch. 2)
· Learn the common elements that comprise the human body (Ch. 2)
· Explain the difference between ionic, covalent and hydrogen bonding and provide examples of each ( Ch.2)
· Relate the structure of water to its characteristics that make it beneficial to life. (Ch.2)
· Understand the role of Hydrogen ions in the formation of acids and bases and the role of buffers in maintaining homeostasis. (Ch.2)
Now you are ready to learn about the Organic compounds that make up living things including us. First get an overview of the four classes of macromolecules ,
Then practice with these flashcards. I made up of some of the key compounds we will learn about this semester. Can you categorize them by organic vs. inorganic molecules? Can you then subcategorize them by carbohydrates, lipids, proteins and nucleic acids?
And finally check out this case study of proteins by looking at the difference between Straight and Curly Hair.
· Recognize the structure of the four classes of biological organic macromolecules: carbohydrates,lipids, proteins, nucleic acids; differentiate their function in cells and identify key molecules that comprise each class.(Ch.2)
· Distinguish between the four levels of protein structure: primary, secondary, tertiary, quaternary and explain how this determines the protein’s structure and function (Ch 2)
· Explain the importance of pH and temperature to the structure/function of proteins (Ch 2)
· Understand that a cell’s function determines the proteins that it produces (Ch2)
For each step I have provided guided questions to help you focus on the main ideas. Please do NOT send me your answers to these. This is not a short answer assignment. You will develop an essay based on the information you read.
Step 1: Read the case study A Sugar By Any Other Name by clicking on this link
Step 2: Become educated on sugar Watch the video The Secrets of Sugar (Links to an external site.) – a worthwhile documentary with interviews from scientists Dr. Lustig and Dr. Stanhope who’s studies you will read about below. Also read The science of sugar. (Links to an external site.)
where Dr. Stanhope explains the effects of sugar on the body. Some questions to consider as you watch and read these articles: How is high fructose corn syrup different than table sugar (=sucrose)? How is it the same? Compare their structures. Why is there concern about it? How does the body process the different types of sugars?
Step 3: Read the following articles which summarize scientific studies. There are links to the actual scientific peer reviewed scientific publications in the article should you want to read the study details.
What kinds of claims can be made about the link between sugar and diabetes, obesity, heart disease, and weight gain? What claims have the most evidence?
Step 4: Analyze the food labels for the breakfast options described in our Case: A Sugar By Any Other Name. Consider the following questions.
1. For each option what percent of the total carbohydrates is sugar? On a per serving size, how does this compare to the daily recommended allowance for children?
2. What macromolecule(s) makes up the other carbohydrates? Which ingredients correspond to those other carbohydrates?
Step 5: Put it all together!
Write a persuasive paper addressing the following questions:
1. Do you think Cynthia was right to be so concerned about the sugar content of some of the boxed cereals? Do you agree or disagree with her opinion about minimizing high fructose corn syrup in our diets? Explain.
2. What is your opinion of Grandma’s breakfast solution? Explain.
Remember to back up your opinion with numerical evidence and facts from the nutrition labels and articles and videos I posted.
D1/2 – Marriage and Families
Whole Class Discussion Assignment: What does marriage, family mean to you and how is it researched? Read Knox Ch 1. Here’s an image address of this book: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51zVe-3yKqL._SX388_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Your discussion will come from Knox Ch 1 and Ch 2 to answer the discussion prompts. Please remember to always cite your information. Look at the example that is under Your Tasks.
Objective for this discussion:
· After reading Chapter 1 and viewing the videos in this module, you will begin to recognize how perceptions of marriage and family vary, and to recognize the importance of the choices we make in our relationships. You will also begin to see how theory helps guide our research in marriage and families.
· After reading Chapter 2 and viewing the videos, you will begin to recognize how perceptions of singlehood and cohabitation vary. Make sure to read both chapters and look at the power points I have included so that you will be able to answer the following questions.
· This discussion Post will be longer than the others because I am combining two chapters.
· How you should approach this and all discussion posts:
· First read all material in the texts, then look at the 4 prompts.
· Type up a word document and save it to your computer. Make sure to check grammar and spelling
· Click on Reply under this prompt.
· Copy your answers from your word doc and paste in the text box. You cannot attach a file. If you do, I will not grade it.
· After you have completed this, you will be able to read other posts. Choose a classmates post that you would like to respond to. Make sure to address them with their first and last names.
· Please remember that all posts must include citations with a page number from your text. If you are taking it from the power point make sure to designate slide number or title of the slide (ppt slide #).
· Please remember to bold all concepts and citations.
1. You have defined what marriage means to you in the orientation module, but now what does family mean to you. That is, perhaps family may mean different things to different people and who do you include as members of your family if different from the book meaning of family.
2. In the optional reading under For More Information, the title of the book mentioned is Families, joy, conflict and change. I like this title because it emphasizes the joy of family. Write a paragraph and describe your family of origin; name some joyous family moments and name some tradition that you always remember and may keep up in your family or future family. We will talk about conflict and change in other modules.
3. Last of all, but very importantly, name the different theoretical frameworks for viewing marriage and the family. Make this succinct,define the theories. Then choose one framework and give an example of some experience that you could apply that theory or how a particular experience could be studied guided by your chosen theory (I have provided an example of how you would discuss this in the file below). I want to make sure you are aware of the different frameworks you will be working with this semester. Please include page numbers in the post. For help with this last question, I have provided a powerpoint for the first few weeks and you can find the answers there. Please either cite the text or the slide. I will be looking for citations and bolded terms in your post. I will take five points off for no citations or bolding of these terms.
4. From Chapter 2: How does cohabitation make sense in today’s world of high rents and the high cost of living? What other alternatives if any are emerging for young couples who do not wish to marry? (please define cohabitation, hooking up, and singlehood and use citations for definitions you use. Then give a paragraph of what you can assess from the chapter in order to respond to the question.